WHEN IT COMES to washers and their many applications, you don’t have to succumb to peer pressure and only use metal! The next time someone asks you – “Why the heck are you using plastic fasteners?” – you can politely tick off these 10 reasons. You’re welcome!
1. Wear Resistance: Plastic washers outwear metal parts by as much as 20 to 1. Plastics like Nylon, PTFE and Acetal offer natural lubricity to increase wear resistance and extend the part life of bearings, rollers, gears and seals.
2. Noise Reduction: Plastic washers absorb noise and shock, and reduce chatter and vibration.
3. Non Abrasive: Plastic washers will not gall or scratch mating parts.
4. Corrosion Resistance: They say rust never sleeps – well, plastic washers don’t rust. And they don’t sleep. The majority of plastic washers aren’t subject to most corrosive circumstances.
5. Temperature Resistance: Plastic washers resist both extremely high and extremely low cryogenic temperature ranges with minimal loss of mechanical properties. Try touching a 200º metal washer… ouch!
6. Excellent Sealing: Plastic washers compress under pressure, so they are ideal as seals under unfavorable environmental conditions.
7. Insulating Properties: Plastic washers are an excellent choice for applications involving electricity or temperature.
8. Lightweight: To minimize the weight of automobiles, airplanes, and other products, plastic washers are an excellent, sensible alternative.
9. Medical and Food Approval: There’s a full range of plastics that have been approved for use in medical applications, ranging from heart pump valves to endoscopic instruments – and the non-rusting, sealing and temperature-related attributes of plastic make it ideal for food service and storage applications.
And – last but certainly not least…
10. Lower Cost: As the legendary Don Ohlmeyer famously said, “The answer to all of your questions is ‘Money’.” Plastic washers are 99 times out of 100 more cost efficient because the basic material is cheaper; they cost less to mold and/or machine; and they are easier to produce in mass quantities than metal.
PRODUCT COMPONENTS CORPORATIONS carries Plastic Washers in a vast variety of materials, diameters and thicknesses. Please call Mary or Christina at (800) 336-0406, or visit us at www.product-components.com … and Thanks!